[Xorp-hackers] Soft-wiring RIB

Orion Hodson orion@icir.org
Fri, 7 May 2004 16:48:59 -0700

On May 7, 2004, at 16:30, Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:
>> We could go one step further by having protocol sections state which
>> origin tables they will provide routes to.  This makes the RIB origin
>> table relations explicit.
>
> I am missing some of the details here, hence can you provide an
> example (e.g., a sample config section) so it can become clearer to
> me.

Okay, so the explicit naming in the protocols section is avoid any
confusion between process names and their functionality, ie the
"static_routes" process populates the various "static" tables in the
rib.  The config might look something like:

rib {
	tables {
		ipv4 {
			unicast {
				protocol connected
				protocol static
				protocol rip
				protocol ospf
				protocol ebgp
			}
		}
		ipv4 multicast {
		}
	}
	protocols {
		connected {
			admin_distance 0
		}
		static {
			admin_distance 1
		}
	}
}

protocols {
	rip {
		populates ipv4 unicast rip
		... RIP specific config ...
		import ipv4 unicast static {
			metric 1
			tag 1
		}
		import ipv4 unicast connected {
			metric 0
			tag 0
		}
	}

	static_routes {
		populates ipv4 unicast static
		... static routes ...
	}
}

This is just one incarnation and it places some overhead on the user
unless there's a standard configuration include file.
	Orion