[Xorp-hackers] Soft-wiring RIB

Orion Hodson orion@icir.org
Mon, 10 May 2004 11:54:02 -0700

On May 8, 2004, at 02:26, Mark Handley wrote:

> I just thought of another solution to the rib config issue for redist.
> It should be possible to hook the routing protocol templates, so they
> call RIB Xrls to configure the RIB OriginTables.
>
> For example, something like (in bgp.tp):
>
> protocols {
>   bgp {
>     %modinfo: provides bgp;
>     %modinfo: depends rib;
>     %create: xrl "rib/rib/0.2/expect_rib_client4?tablename:txt=bgp";
> }

I see what you are getting at, but we'd need to specify ibgp or ebgp
depending on the contents of the configuration file.

> Now, what happens at startup is that the dependencies are all figured
> out, and then the XRLs are re-ordered so things are configured one at
> a time.
>
> The big advantage of this is that it is completely transparent to the
> user, removing the possibility of mismatched RIB and routing protocol
> configs, while preserving the error checking that you want.

The mechanics work, but I'm not clear how this maps to the part of the
redistribution problem to do with naming. ie naming the origin of
routes to redistribute ie lets say I want RIP to redistribute ibgp
routes.  The protocols section of the configuration file talks about
bgp, but in the import statement for RIP will state ibgp (today).  Just
documenting the available options might solve this in the least painful
way for the time being.

	Orion