[Xorp-hackers] XORP on memory stringent embedded platform

Bruce M Simpson bms@spc.org
Fri, 26 Nov 2004 00:28:00 -0800

On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 02:20:22PM +0800, edrt wrote:
> But on the other hand, even if XORP is dynamically loadded, it still
> consumes much of the system memeory after it is loadded. Also, some of
> the embedded platform is Flash stringent (16M), as XORP grows this could
> also become a problem on embedded platform (though, at present, I can
> compress the dynamic library stored on the flash),

Dynamic linkage should reduce the run-time memory footprint further (and
potentially reduce data and instruction cache churn). Whilst we have not
done any profiling in this area, we'd hope to be able to perform some
initial profiling under FreeBSD 5.3 with Valgrind soon.

> If stl/template is the main factor result in big image size, is there any
> possiblity XORP can also be build & release with some kind of small memory
> footprint library? (if XORP is also intended to be deployed on embedded system)

It's a bit more complicated than that. Whilst mitigating template expansion
by using partial expansion is one technique of many which can be used, it's
not the only technique. It is definitely on our list, though.

Don't forget that you do not need to install all of the components; the
RIB, FEA and Finder are essential.

Thank you for the STL suggestion. We may look into this, we are of course
always open to patches.

Regards,
BMS