[Xorp-hackers] RAW/TCP/UDP Socket Implementation

Ajay Anil Mahimkar mahimkar@sunfire2.ece.utexas.edu
Sun, 14 Aug 2005 05:17:35 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,

I am currently going through the implementation of raw/tcp/udp sockets for
control path communication. My understanding is that sockets use the
actual interfaces (these interfaces are used for forwarding plane too) for
sending control information (BGP, RIP, ..). On a router, when we run both
XORP & forwarding (say Click), then there must be a way to differentiate
regular data packets and control packets. Could some one tell where is
this done (in Click or XORP) ? i believe it to be Click. If its done on
forwarding plane, then it means that the forwarder should actually
distinguish data & control packets.

Now, suppose, if we decide to use another interface (not one, where data
transfer occurs) for control packets, then it might incur some additional
management. I think this is the model for having forwarding plane reside
on different machine than XORP (as described in XORP FEA document). I
think this was not supported as of April'05. Is this being incorporated
now, or would it be in the near future ?

Thanks,
- Ajay

Ajay Mahimkar
Graduate Student
Dept. of Electrical & Computer Engineering
The University of Texas at Austin
Austin, TX 78713
USA
Email: mahimkar@ece.utexas.edu