[Xorp-hackers] release.

Kristian Larsson kristian@juniks.net
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 17:20:50 +0200

I'm not sure my last mail ever reached the mailing
list btw is it xorp-hackers@icir.org or @xorp.org?

v1.2 is scheduled for release now in August,
perhaps a release candidate would be appropriate?

I have a few thoughts on the rtrmgr as well;
I've noticed that it shuts down due to a lot of
small errors. Sometimes the faults are larger but
still I beleive it should be handled with an
error message and not a exit.

For example, OSPF is broken in CVS and so when
trying to start an ospf process the rtrmgr dies
with an error. Why not inform the xorpsh of this
in a graceful manner without the exit.
Another example is where the local hostname does
not resolve which results in the rtrmgr not starting.
What if someone misconfigured their router and
then rebooted it from remote. It would never
start.

In my opinion these things are just as important
as having a correct PIM implementation. People (at
least the router nerds I know) will not use
something that crashes. Resilience is the sh*t! :)
Opinions?

Regards,
Kristian