[Xorp-hackers] RE: Xorp-hackers digest, Vol 1 #183 - 1 msg

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 17:35:52 -0700

> The lib version of the xorpsh is prolly exactly what I need.  I would think
> for the XORP project to be successful in an embedded market this would be
> necessary.  Most of the switch/router projects I have done in the past have
> always required many boot time decisions on how to configure all the
> interfaces and protocols.  None of our systems have ever had direct
> configuration by a user and almost always requires run-time changes via
> applications that trigger off of upstream database changes.  I hope I can
> come to a way to use XORP in this way because I hate to think of the other
> vendor I will have to use if not.  Plus it puts me way behind schedule. ;)
> I guess I can always resort to hacking out some scripts to try and configure
> things but it sounds real risky and not very easy, especially since I don't
> know shell scripting.

Yes, I think this is a very good idea.

Would you volunteer to extract the core xorpsh functionality in such
library? :)
Otherwise, I am afraid that currently we don't have the spare cycles
to do this ourselves. We can add it to our TODO list, but it may
take a while before it is ready. So your best bet would be to invest
in the shell scripting solution, and eventually in the future you
can switch to using the library instead.
In any case, can you send us pointers to existing solutions (e.g.,
high-level description, API, etc).