[Xorp-hackers] RE: Xorp-hackers digest, Vol 1 #183 - 1 msg

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 14:37:31 -0700

> Maybe I read it, but I thought we discussed it at one time.  Any way, when I
> bring up the system I will be configuring some TAP interfaces (i.e. TAP0,
> TAP1, etc.) before starting the XORP daemon.  Is there a way to tell XORP to
> configure PIM and IGMP on its own to read the info and fill in its own
> config for these particular interfaces and no others?

Yes.
The MFEA, IGMP and PIM configuration doesn't contain any
interface-specific information such as IP address, netmask, etc.
Hence, all you need to do is just include the interface/vif in each
blocks (mfea4, igmp, pimsm4), but only if the system already has
that interface enabled and configured. Furthermore, each interface
must be configured in the "interfaces" configuration block (either
explicitly by specifying the IP address, etc, or implicitly by the
default-system-config statement).
If, however, the system doesn't have yet a particular interface,
then this interface must not be included in the XORP configuration.
Only after the interface is created in the kernel, then it should be
added to the xorp configuration (interfaces, mfea4, igmp, pimsm4,
etc).

Pavlin