[Xorp-hackers] Questions on the architecture

theo29 the29 theo29_1@hotmail.com
Wed, 09 Feb 2005 11:51:17 +0000

I have two questions on the XORP architecture which I hope someone can
answer:

1. The architecture is based on a single threaded event loop, that divides
its time doing a select() on all its file descriptors (in the selector
list), and executing expired timer events. A select() is one of the more
expensive things you can do in the kernel, so I was wondering if you had
thought something about the scalability of that approach (for example in
terms of number of protocols communicating with the finder server). Did you
not consider asynchronous IO?

2. What is the purpose of the SocketServer class. Should protocols not open
their own sockets, but rather deligate that to the XRL target implementing
the socket4.xif (which I belive is executed in the FEA process now)? Why
deligate this task?

Best regards

Halldor Isak