[Xorp-hackers] Minor build issue with p4 and other cvs-a-likes

Bruce M Simpson bms@spc.org
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:24:36 +0000

This is probably only of interest to people using Perforce or considering
using it.

I've noticed a minor issue with XORP when using Perforce as a secondary
repository. When rebuilding the xrl subdirectory targets, Python complains
that the .XIF files are read-only, and the build fails.

Currently I'm using Perforce to allow the changes I'm working on in XORP to
be merged more cleanly back to the main line of development in CVS, and to
allow the work on my laptop to be regularly checked in.

I traced this back to the Perforce client's default behaviour, which is
to check out files read-only if they are not currently open for editing
using 'p4 edit'.

Applying the 'allwrite' option to the P4 client view for my XORP tree
is a workaround I'm now using. Adding the 'clobber' option to allow
'p4 sync' to overwrite such files adds convenience when doing integrates
but risks changes which haven't been 'p4 submit'-ted being lost.

Hope this helps,
BMS