[Xorp-hackers] Large Number of Interfaces

Yonghong Ren ren@sandmail.sandburst.com
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 14:45:54 -0500

>BTW, can you be a bit more specific about the type of dynamic
>interfaces you want to create/use, This can help defining the
>solution.

By "dynamic", I meant the ability to create/delete interfaces on the fly
(inside of xorpsh for example), as you said. I didn't mean "dynamic
interface" as a different type of interfaces. That is, it's just a plain
interface, which could be for example a plain Ethernet interface or a
logical interface on a physical interface. Sorry for the confusion.

In any case, your explanation is helpful for me to understand what XORP
can or can't do at the moment.

>Adding this functionality is on our TODO list.

Adding this would be very nice. Obviously one could build something that
add/delete interfaces to/from OS via a different path, but I hope that
xorpsh will be the interface that one does everything. This would be a
keen to CLI of any switch/router. Is XORP-sh extensible? In other words,
could I add my own commands and interfaces? The platform I am working
with has capabilities other than routing such as Ethernet switching
(including VLAN), MPLS, etc. It would be nice that I could use xorpsh to
integrate my Ethernet switching and MPLS commands.

I have barely looked into XORP. Hopefully I am not asking too many
uneducated questions. I really ought to study xorp first.

Thanks!

Regards,
Yonghong Ren