[Xorp-hackers] PIM and IGMP

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Tue, 05 Jul 2005 14:44:50 -0700

> We will not be using IGMPv3 for a while so that will not be a problem.  The
> other question is about seperating BGP, RIP, etc from the IGMP and PIM.  Can
> we build the project without these?  I am looking for ways to reduce code
> size and not sure if XORP can be picked apart?

This should be relatively easy:

 1. Edit the top-level xorp/Makefile.am file and remove the
    directories you don't need compiled. For all practical purposes,
    the only directories you don't need should be from the following
    line:

SUBDIRS += bgp pim rip rtrmgr static_routes

 2. Run ./bootstrap to regenerate the top-level Makefile.in and
    after that you can run ./configure as usual.
    One thing you should be aware is that before running ./bootstrap
    you must have the right versions of the the
    autoconf/automake/libtool tools. Currently, we use the following
    versions (also listed in xorp/README):
    - autoconf version 2.53
    - automake version 1.5
    - libtool version 1.3.4

    Those tools are notorious for behaving differently when the
    version changes, so try to install a version that is as close as
    possible to those listed above.

> Little nervous about the whole C++ thing as I am a C developer and our last
> PIM/IGMP product was in C.  Guess I am going to have to ramp up fairly

We all have C background, but learning to use C++ wasn't that scary
as some would expect :)
If you need book references, devnotes/c++refs.txt has a list. The
first one on the list is the definite book on the subject:
 * The C++ Programming Language (3rd Edition), Bjarne Stroustrup,
   Addison-Wesley.

Eventually, you could also start to pick-up things by reading and
modifying existing code, but obviously you cannot learn everything
only by reading existing code.

> quickly.  My hope is through this experience I can become an active
> contributor.  I have working with switch/router hardware and drivers for the
> last 5 years.  Would really like to get some of the hardware we use and fire
> up and actual full fledged router with it.

External contribution is always welcome, but first you may want to
read the "Licensing and Copyright" section in
http://www.xorp.org/contributing.html so you can avoid any
legal/licensing issues upfront :)

Pavlin