[Xorp-hackers] Configuration managment ....

Javier Cardona javier@cozybit.com
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:21:56 -0800

Hi,

On Tuesday 22 March 2005 06:20 am, Timothy Griffin wrote:
> hi,
>
> perhaps this idea has been kicked around before:
> how about using an SQL database (such as MySQL) to
> manage all xorp configuration data?
> (...)
> comments?

It's a good idea: the proof is that a similar architecture is being used
elsewhere with good success:  the WindManage suite, from Wind River
( http://www.windriver.com/products/device_technologies/management/ ).

Similar to what you propose, that solution uses a single database to store all
the configuration data (termed the backplane) which is accessible through
different interfaces (CLI, Web, XML/SOAP and SNMP).  The database is
optimized for embedded use, linked to the different interface processes (i.e.
no standalone db server process required), and, of course, can only run on
the managed device.  At the time I integrated Net-SNMP with XORP I considered
implementing a similar solution, but I wasn't sure of what was covered by
different patent applications Wind River had filed on this.  I think the most
relevant is
http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?TERM1=20030115575+&Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.html&r=0&f=S&l=50
which it has been rejected recently.  (Deciphering the claims on that patent
is beyond my capabilities, given that Legal English is not my mother tongue.)

I just thought you might be interested on that.

Cheers,

Javier

--
Javier Cardona