[Xorp-hackers] XORP IPC mechanism is stressed by data plane traffic

Bruce M Simpson bms@spc.org
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 14:00:49 -0800

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 10:02:53PM +0800, edrt wrote:
>   * Can the network stack (FreeBSD-like) differentiate internal IPC
>     traffic with external data traffic and implement internal QOS-like
>     resource reserving and procssing?

Under FreeBSD you could try the following:-

 1) run ALTQ on the loopback interface and prioritize control plane traffic
    passing through the IP stack at the expense of data plane traffic;

 2) use a different underlying IPC mechanism for the control plane traffic,
    e.g. POSIX message queues.

That's all I can think off of the top of my head right now...

BMS