[Xorp-hackers] Configuration managment ....

Bruce M Simpson bms@spc.org
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 14:04:10 -0800

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 02:43:18PM +0000, Timothy Griffin wrote:
> > The only question I have is where do you want the database to be
> > running ? Is a database too heavy to be run on a low end device ?
>
> it would be up to the network operator to chose where to run the database
> process (just as is the case with most [all?] xorp processes...)
>
> mysql runs very well on low-end boxes, including laptops.

Why aren't people doing this more widely? I would like to see firm figures
for resource consumption by MySQL on embedded targets.

Has anyone tried running MySQL on a machine without an MMU, for example?

Surely if one wishes to go the SQL route, SQLite would be more appropriate
for embedded targets?

The code footprint given for SQLite on the web page is a typical ~250KB
on x86 for gcc, this doesn't say anything about the run-time memory
footprint, and I would imagine with better compilers it could get smaller.

BMS