[Xorp-hackers] Configuration managment ....

Javier Cardona javier@cozybit.com
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:11:03 -0800

On Tuesday 22 March 2005 11:48 am, Kurt J. Lidl wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 11:21:56AM -0800, Javier Cardona wrote:
> > On Tuesday 22 March 2005 06:20 am, Timothy Griffin wrote:
> > > perhaps this idea has been kicked around before:
> > > how about using an SQL database (such as MySQL) to
> > > manage all xorp configuration data?
> > > (...)
> > > comments?
> >
> > It's a good idea: the proof is that a similar architecture is being used
> > elsewhere with good success:  the WindManage suite, from Wind River
> > ( http://www.windriver.com/products/device_technologies/management/ ).
>
> No it isn't.
>
> Just because someone does something and files for a patent on it does not
> mean its a good idea.  Besides, its not a new idea -- varients have
> been done in the past.  For example, I think it was the Netgear(?) backbone
> routers that basically did everything through SNMP.  All the world's
> a SNMP query, even the CLI.

I did not claim that it was new, nor that it was good just because a patent
was filed on it.  Quite the contrary, my opinion is based on architectural
cleanness and the fact that others seem to be taking similar routes.

> (...)
>
> Except that you couldn't get work done with it.  When the network
> is mostly busted, and you're trying to fix it by manipulating the
> running router configuration, the less you have to type, the more
> likely it is you're going to be able to fix it.  When you have to
> type long, long command lines to get anything done, it slows down
> the person trying to fix things.  A lot.

Using the proposed architecture (one single repository of configuration data +
different methods to access it) it is easy to add new interfaces.  There
can be one just for "mostly busted networks" designed to minimize keystrokes.
But if someone enjoys typing "long, long command lines to get anything done",
that can be arranged as well ;)

Cheers,

--
Javier Cardona