[Xorp-hackers] How can we handle this error?

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Wed, 11 May 2005 14:49:09 -0700

> I am a student at cal state fullerton.we are working
> on a class project right now.Our project is related to
> xorp and rip. We have:
>
> 1) 2 PCs stations (with one ethernet card for each).
> Every pc connect to one PC-Router
> 2) 3 PC-Routers, two have three ethernet cards that
> connect to each other, with the third one, and with
> one of the two stations. and the third PC-Router has
> two ehternet cards that connect only the first two
> PC-routers.
>
> See the attached picture for the topology.
>
> We gave an ip number to each ethernet card in pcs and
> then installed the xorp on the three PC-routers.
>
> When we try to run RIP, two of the PC-Routers gives
> this error continuasly.
>
> xorp-rip:511 RIP +526 port.cc port_io_send_completion
>
> But the first one (which is connected to the Pc
> station) works fine.
>
> My questiones are:
>
> 1-)How can we handle that error? we configure the
> three PC-router with the same way!!
>
> 2-)To test the working RIP-XORP PC-Router, we ping the
> IPs assigned to every ethernet card in it from the PC
> station connected to it. but we only got reply from
> the IP that is from same zone of the station !! as it
> looks like that RIP is not running  to route to the
> other IPs at the same router machine from different
> zone!!!
>
> Any suggesting !!!

A quick question: did you specify the correct interface addresses
inside the RIP configuration?
If you use exactly same configuration on all RIP routers, then two
out of three this configuration will be wrong.

Another thing to check is whether you have any filtering/firewall
rules on your routers that prevent them from sending or receiving
the RIP packets.

Regards,
Pavlin