[Xorp-hackers] Interface configuration under xorp.

Kristian larsson kristian@juniks.net
Wed, 18 May 2005 19:49:42 +0200

Hi!

I have been working with both asic based routers from cisco, juniper, extreme
and so forth as well as with computer/unix based routers for a few years now.
Up until a few months ago the latter has been limited to the zebra/quagga suite
of routing daemons.
They don't leave a very good impression although with a few modifications of my
own I've learned to live with them.
Anyway, a few months ago I first found out about xorp and having taken a look at
it I must say it looks good. I have done some basic testing which looks
promising.
What I lack the most is the lack of ways to configure interfaces from within
xorp.
I don't think we have a single router not using VLANs and it would be really
neat to be able to do all configuration from within xorp.
Is there anyone working on this? I'm no programmer but I would like work on this
to make xorp even better.

Also, why do one have to `create` before configuring an interface? Would it not
be easier to check what interfaces exist at system startup?
This is something I'm also interested in writing unless it's a deliberate design
choice not to.

Regards,
Kristian