[Xorp-hackers] Re: [Xorp-users] MIB

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Mon, 30 May 2005 10:04:24 -0700

> I want to extract information from RIB (Routing Information Base) such
> as: routes, flow sources and destinations; IGMP groups, how many time a
> multicast flow is replicated, etc... To be clearer, I want to query the
> RIB. Is that possible?

Can you clarify what you mean by "routes".
The RIB contains only the routes used for unicast routing (URIB),
and the MRIB routes used by multicast routing protocols to obtain
the Reverse Path Forwarding information.
That information can be obtained by the "show route table ..."
xorpsh commands.

The PIM-SM module itself contains the PIM-SM derived multicast
routing information (the so-called Tree Information Base (TIB)).
You can see that information by the "show pim join" xorpsh command.

The PIM-SM module also contains the multicast forwarding information
that is installed in the kernel. That information is per
source-group and can be obtained by the "show pim mfc" xorpsh
command. The info contains the incoming interface and the set of
outgoing interfaces.

The IGMP group information can be obtained from the IGMP module by
the "show igmp group" xorpsh command.

Currently, the only MIB implemented in XORP is for BGP so if you
want to use SNMP to obtain the above information you have to
implement the corresponding MIBs.
The mibs/README, the "XORP SNMP Agent" document
(http://www.xorp.org/design_docs.html), and the BGP MIB
implementation can be a starting point.

Regards,
Pavlin