[Xorp-hackers] AW: [Xorp-users] Does xorp latest CVS have some problem with the export command?

Kristian Larsson kristian@juniks.net
Fri, 4 Nov 2005 14:43:37 +0100

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 01:53:16PM +0100, Patrick Marc Preuss wrote:
> [...]
Great!

> > > In this case the config file should contain something like the "version
> > > 12.4" line on the cisco's so you could determine witch parts are differ
> > > Between versions. So it will be possible to show parts witch have been
> > > obsolete, changed and so on.
> > My patch to BugZilla 53 includes this :)

> > > I think not to rewrite the config in all parts, may the rip is such a
> > thing
> > > where it goes or not, have not thought about it yet, but for example:
> > > If the config changes from:
> > >
> > > Protocols {
> > > 	Ospf4 {
> > > 	}
> > > }

> > > Protocols {
> > > 	Ospf {
> > > 		.... keeps the same
> > > 	}
> > > }
> > >
> > > The next time you write the config there will be the new version.
> > >
> > > You can add a mechanism for such rules, something like check config url,
> > it
> > > will have the side effect for an "aaa" subsystem, you can control the
> > access
> > > to statements for a user, group, like the Juniper does. I know this will
> > be
> > > A lot of work ;-)
> > >
> > > But for Production env. Where you might not have full access it would be
> > > good idea.
> >

> > I think it's both difficult and dangerous to have
> > XORP change stuff automatically for you, it would
> > be better to just warn and let the user decide on
> > action.
>
> Yes for the most things right, but i have experrenced on IOS if you
> configure in 12.3T line "crypto pki ..." you would be warned in 12.4 line
> this command is obsolete and will be replaced with "crypto ca ...",
> underlying the same config. its only smallthings like a change from ospf4 to
> ospf in the nameing which should be replaced by such a mechanism.
> While loading the saved config this is done sillent;-) Nice the system comes
> up and you have the things running;-) I think this would be nice so you can
> upgrade routers at remote locations, my company has 500 locations all over
> Europe, so you can't drive to any routerdo this by hand.
I still think it's dangerous.
What if you just wanna try out a new version, you
find out it sucks. You switch back. But the new
xorp has rearranged your configuration file so now
the old version won't accept it.
Warning is enough ;)

> > I don't really understand what you mean with the
> > AAA system?
>
> aaa stands usualy for autentication, authorisation and accounting.
> With this you can say user a can do all things on the router, user b can not
> or can only edit interface config or can change the state of interfaces but
> is not allowed to edit routing processes. You can use this subsystem for
> Dial-In, ipsec and so on.
I am aware of what it is. I've setup a numerous
TACACS solutions ;)
What I don't understand is how this automagic
check of configuration files will affect AAA?

   Kristian