[Xorp-hackers] AW: [Xorp-users] Does xorp latest CVS have some problem with the export command?

Patrick Marc Preuss deathdealer@gmx.net
Sat, 05 Nov 2005 03:03:30 +0100

Kristian Larsson wrote:

>On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 04:35:13PM +0100, Patrick Marc Preuss wrote:
>

>>>I still think it's dangerous.
>>>What if you just wanna try out a new version, you
>>>find out it sucks. You switch back. But the new
>>>xorp has rearranged your configuration file so now
>>>the old version won't accept it.
>>>Warning is enough ;)
>>>

>>Oh, well what i meant was no to save the config automaticly,
>>only the running config should be affected. and if you have as
>>system like Juniper where you have up to 50 Versions it might also
>>be possible to go back.
>>
>>Normaly you wouldn't jump from: 10.1 -> 12.4 on all routers you would check
>>this with some routers nearby. Normaly you would go from 12.4.1 -> 12.4.1a
>>or 12.4.3 some minor steps where such big changes normaly would not made.
>>
>>This is a thing how the lifecycle of the versions is.
>>

>Still, I don't see why stuff should change
>automagically?
>You test the new software on one system, you'll
>notice ospf4 has changed name to ospf, you change
>your configs and voila it works ;)
>
>Perhaps this should be an option in that
>alternative configuraion we've discussed (you know
>the one with a second config file or compile time
>options).

Yes seams to be a good idea ;-)

>>>not

>>>but

>>>I am aware of what it is. I've setup a numerous
>>>TACACS solutions ;)
>>>What I don't understand is how this automagic
>>>check of configuration files will affect AAA?
>>>

>>From my point of view the same function in the code can check if the command
>>is valid for the actual system and for the user who whants to do this.
>>

>Aha!
>Although it is a good idea I don't beleive that
>these functions would share very much code-wise.
>Though I'm probably wrong ;)

I have tought of a routine witch simply might look like, but if have not
found the time to dig into the code yet ;-( :

void check_fup  (cfgvars, etc. ) {
    if ( cfgvars == "regex_rewrite_var") {
          do_rewrite(vars);
          return;
    }
    if ( cfgvars != "regex_valid_cmds_user") {
        print_err ("This is not valid for user pmp");
   }
}

Patrick