[Bulk] AW: [Xorp-hackers] Some thoughts

Mike Horn caddisconsulting@yahoo.com
Sun, 6 Nov 2005 21:30:35 -0700

Hi Patrick,

In cases like ospf4 -> ospf and other configuration mappings, what if we
developed a separate configuration converter for these types of situations?
I agree with Hasso that I would prefer to have the configuration interpreted
literally, exactly as it is in the configuration file, otherwise what you
view in the configuration file will not match what you see in rtrmgr after
the configuration is loaded.  Just my $0.02!

-mike

-----Original Message-----
From: xorp-hackers-admin@icir.org [mailto:xorp-hackers-admin@icir.org] On
Behalf Of Patrick Preuss
Sent: Sunday, November 06, 2005 10:26 AM
To: 'Hasso Tepper'; xorp-hackers@xorp.org
Subject: [Bulk] AW: [Xorp-hackers] Some thoughts

Hello

> Configuration handling

> I have read through threads in list and object strongly to ideas to
> have functionality to rewrite configuration by new version to be
compatible.
> Nothing like this should happen in routers I maintain ;). My idea to

You are right should not ;) But major vendors have it allway done and for
some parts of configurations it might be ok, as you followed the discussion,

It might be a compile time option to do this and I spoke about to rewrite
things only in the case when some naming conventions change eg.: ospf4 ->
ospf.

For my part this is ok, to correct things to new naming scheme, but if major

Funtionality changes, like in the rip process, there must be a way to
transition from Version 1.1 -> 1.2 without rewriteing the config in advance.

The Config should be written by the rtrmgr, and not by hand.

>From my point of view the Software should help you doing an upgrade from one
version to another.

Major rewrites shouldn't be done, that's right, this should be marked as
"E>" in the show, so the user has the chance to see there is something
wrong. And may be the software should accept old and new things for a while.

Regards,
	Patrick