[Xorp-hackers] Some thoughts

Kristian Larsson kristian@juniks.net
Mon, 7 Nov 2005 19:16:06 +0100

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 03:22:22PM +0200, Hasso Tepper wrote:
> Kristian Larsson wrote:
> > I beleive there is an option for this.
> > Promote secondary IPs
> > When deleting a primary the 'next' secondary will become primary.
> > Of course, most people don't have this ( I think it is available
> > as of 2.6.13 or .14) so what you're saying still holds true.
>
> I know. It's available from 2.6.13 and never worked with more
> secondaries than one (and still doesn't). And it's not default and
> never will probably. So, we can safely say that it doesn't exist ;).
Oh, I wasn't away of the limit to one secondary.
Seems like a strange limit ;)
Now, in my mind, the Linux people screwed up, I
can't see any reason till why the adresses should
actually be removed but hey, I'm no kernel hacker.
It won't be default but from someone who's using
xorp I think you can expect them to turn on a few
kernel options or do propose that xorp should
handle the problem?

   Kristian