[Bulk] Re: [Xorp-hackers] Some thoughts

Mark Handley M.Handley@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Tue, 8 Nov 2005 09:21:14 +0000

On 11/8/05, Mike Horn <caddisconsulting@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Here a couple of thoughts on the configuration portion of VLAN interfaces.
>
> 1. We should have a configuration flag under the master interface indicating
> that the interface is configured for 802.1Q tagging.
>
> 2. It might be simpler to have a single node with the vlan-id value.
>
> Here's what I'm suggesting:
>
> interfaces {
>      interface fxp0 {
>          vlan-tagging: true;
>          vif fxp0 {
>          }
>          vif vlan0 {
>            vlan-id: 20;
>          }
>      }
>  }

You're right - this is much cleaner.

The only issue then is ensuring you can't set vlan-id unless
vlan-tagging is enabled - primarily to avoid confusion where you set
it, and it doens't do anything, but also to avoid a huge list of
config options that aren't relevant when you attempt command-line
completion.  Also, the vlan-tagging option probably shouldn't be
available unless the interface has VLAN capability, for the same
reasons.  But these are details - the general idea looks good.

 - Mark