[Bulk] Re: [Xorp-hackers] Some thoughts

Kristian Larsson kristian@juniks.net
Tue, 8 Nov 2005 10:35:33 +0100

Shouldn't you enable vlan-tagging on the physical
interface instead of on a vif?

interfaces {
  interface fxp0 {
    vlan-tagging: true;
    vif fxp0 {
      bla bla
    }
    vif vlan0 {
      vlan-tag: 20;
    }
  }
}

though I'd still rather go with
interfaces {
  interface fxp0 {
    vlan-tagging: true;
    vif 0 {
    }
    vif 20 {
      perhaps including vlan-tag 20;
    }
  }
}

I like the skip superflous stuff like "vlan" :)
and it would be quite easy to treat 0 in a special
way ie untagged.

I'm not sure how you intend that "vlan0" in your
example should be handled. Is it like
FreeBSD-vlan0 ie you can only have one per system,
if so the user would have to keep track of all the
vlan interfaces. not good.
Or is it per interface, would the following work?
interfaces {
  interface fxp0 {
    vif vlan0 {
      address 1.3.3.7 {