[Xorp-hackers] Is it possible for XORP to act like N independent routers ?

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Fri, 07 Oct 2005 09:02:04 -0700

> Thanks for the quick response. That sounds like a good
> solution, but one problem is that there might
> potepotentiallya dozen or so of these domains. I would
> realreallye to avoid running all those processes.
>
> I am not an XORPXORPeloper, but I had the following
> idea. if internal structures were modified to also
> include a VLANVLANtag field. Then all the looklook ups
> matches would have to be modified to take the tags
> into account. So when a routing packet comes in on an
> interface with ID A then all the logic is based on
> stored routes that have been tagetaggedh ID A and the
> results are sent out interfaces that have ID A and the
> VLANVLAN
>
> What do you guys think ? This can also be
> genegeneralizeduppose.

If you have a reasonably fast machine, I'd recommend to try first
running a dozen of XORP instances before completely disregarding
this option.

While in this space, you may want to consider IMUNES
(http://www.imunes.net) which (among many things) can give you much
better isolation and convenience running multiple XORP instances.
With IMUNES you can run XORP out-of-the-box without any of the mods
or without setting any environmental variables that I described in
my previous email.

Alternatively, maybe you can use the recently added policy support
to do something like what you describe above?
Other folks who know the details of the policy framework can tell
you what exactly you can do with it.

Pavlin