[Xorp-hackers] NAT support for XORP

Kristen Nielsen krn@krn.dk
Sun, 16 Oct 2005 13:55:07 +0200

Hi XORP-Hackers.

Thank you for doing this great project - it really thrills me that an
opensource router project has appeared and got this far already.

I am a Graduate Computer Science student from Univesity of Copenhagen,
who is looking into doing some work/implementation projects in XORP as a
part of my next 1-2 projects and eventually for my final thesis.

I am considering to implement a Network Address Translation (NAT) module
to XORP, but as I understand it, it seems that I need to add
functionality to the FEA module to be able to change IP-packets that
flows through the router.

Is there a design plan / roadmap / ideas / thoughts / ? for how the XORP
project will handle implementation of functionality the requires
tratment/changs of all packets that belongs to a trafficflow or to
interfaces, that my NAT project can fit into or take into concideration?

Also if sometime later Virtulisation of the XORP router e.g. with MPLS
functionality will come up - as I see it the same functionality will be
needed.

I hope you will comment on this.

Sincerely
Mr. Kristen Nielsen