[Xorp-hackers] Size concerns

Bruce M Simpson bms@spc.org
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:46:28 +0100

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 01:38:11PM -0500, Weaver John-JWEAVER1 wrote:
> 10% is not going to help out a lot unless my 210MB was wrong.  I cannot deal
> with an executable to put in the root file system that is over 5MB.

It would be nice to make the automake and libtool headache go away.
My suggestions would be to explore the use of alternative build tools.

I would recommend Perforce Software's 'jam' as a starting point. There
is an open source project which is cross-platform (Win32 and UNIXen)
build with it; gpstk, a toolkit for dealing with realtime GPS data and
calculations.

But of course the bigger problem, of static C++ constructors, has to
be dealt with somehow before shared libraries can be used for the bulk
of XORP's code base.

BMS