[Xorp-hackers] Questions on next release, puzzles and mysteries

Jonathan Day imipak@yahoo.com
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 22:22:58 -0800 (PST)

--- Pavlin Radoslavov <pavlin@icir.org> wrote:
> > Second, the more I look at network routing
> protocols,
> > the more protocols I find. It would be handy if
> there
> > was a page listing existant protocols, their
> > real-world scope, and their priority for being
> > implemented (NIN being for protocols that won't be
> > implemented in this lifetime, even if threatened
> with
> > a Tandy TRS-80.)
>
> This is outside the scope of XORP. Implementing even
> a single
> protocol is very time consuming so for the time
> being we have our
> hands tied with the must-have protocols like OSPF,
> etc.

I can understand that, certainly, although some kind
of central list might help encourage third-parties to
provide the additional code. Mind you, it might also
scare them off, knowing the full magnitude of the
problem space!

With most software routing abandoned, I'd rather the
XORP team focus on what can be done, rather than to
attempt the impossible.