[Xorp-hackers] Questions on next release, puzzles and mysteries

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Tue, 21 Feb 2006 12:17:33 -0800

> > > Second, the more I look at network routing
> > protocols,
> > > the more protocols I find. It would be handy if
> > there
> > > was a page listing existant protocols, their
> > > real-world scope, and their priority for being
> > > implemented (NIN being for protocols that won't be
> > > implemented in this lifetime, even if threatened
> > with
> > > a Tandy TRS-80.)
> >
> > This is outside the scope of XORP. Implementing even
> > a single
> > protocol is very time consuming so for the time
> > being we have our
> > hands tied with the must-have protocols like OSPF,
> > etc.
>
> I can understand that, certainly, although some kind
> of central list might help encourage third-parties to
> provide the additional code. Mind you, it might also
> scare them off, knowing the full magnitude of the
> problem space!
>
> With most software routing abandoned, I'd rather the
> XORP team focus on what can be done, rather than to
> attempt the impossible.

Probably I am misunderstanding your original question, but there is
already a "Contributing" web page that lists various suggestions for
code contribution: http://www.xorp.org/contributing.html

In addition, below is the list of protocols we are planning to work
on in the fiture (in no particular order):

* IS-IS
* IGMPv3/MLDv2
* Bidirectional PIM-SM

FYI, this info was on the Roadmap web page, but it is temporarily
commented-out until various other things are sorted-out.

Please let us know if the above information does not answer your
question or if you prefer, say, that the Roadmap contains some more
specific info (including long-term plans).

Pavlin