[Xorp-hackers] transaction fix for nodes shared across modules

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Thu Jun 1 18:42:19 PDT 2006

> > If a user creates an interface (with vrrp):
> >
> > >create interfaces ethernet eth0 vrrp virtual-address 1.1.1.1
> >
> > So that that both the modules interfaces and rl_interfaces are
> > created. Both these modules specify transactions, and within the
> > context of the ethernet node the transactions look like:
> >
> > start_transaction (interfaces)
> > restore-original-config-on-shutdown
> > commit_transaction (interfaces)
> >
> > start_transaction (rl_interfaces)
> > create_interface
> > set_interface_enabled
> > create_vif
> > set_vif_enabled
> > commit_transaction (rl_interfaces)
>
> With your modification, what is the ordering of the XRLs. Is it
> something like the following:
>
> ====
> start_transaction (interfaces)
> restore-original-config-on-shutdown
>
> start_transaction (rl_interfaces)
> create_interface
> set_interface_enabled
> create_vif
> set_vif_enabled
> commit_transaction (rl_interfaces)
>
> commit_transaction (interfaces)
> ====
>
> ML> In debug print statements the transactions were not nested but sequential--with the interfaces transaction closing before the rl_interfaces transaction started. So more along the lines of the following:
>
> start_transaction (interfaces)
> restore-original-config-on-shutdown
> commit_transtion (interfaces)
>
> start_transaction (rl_interfaces)
> create_interface
> set_interface_enabled
> create_vif
> set_vif_enabled
> commit_transaction (rl_interfaces)

You confused me here. If this is the output after your modification,
then what is the order before the modification.
If the order doesn't change, then what kind of issue was fixed with
your mod?

After re-reading your earlier emails it looks to me that you want to
have two actions that belong to the same template node, but each
action belongs to a different module. This seems dangerous and may
be a source of other issues in the fiture.

I will reply in a separate email about the nesting of modules.