[Xorp-hackers] VLANs

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Tue May 9 00:58:20 PDT 2006

> Vyatta have had working VLAN support for some time
> now. Is there anyone having any objections
> backporting this into XORP?
> I know the support is only for Linux, but by
> starting with the Vyatta code we can work our way
> from there.

In general, we would like to port-back (as time allows us) many of
the good things the Vyatta folks have added to their code.

However, in case of VLAN specifically, the Vyatta solution won't
work for us, because it is not portable. E.g., the interfaces.tp
rtrmgr template file contains the following %create commands which
deal with creating VLAN vifs:

        %create:  program "modprobe 8021q";
        %create:  program "vconfig add $(ethernet.@) $(@)";

Those external commands are Linux specific and we cannot use them in
XORP. Implementing it portably eventually means that we need to add
the appropriate support to the FEA, and this is not a trivial task.