[Xorp-hackers] VLANs

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Tue May 9 11:32:47 PDT 2006

Kristian Larsson <kristian at spritelink.se> wrote:

> On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 12:58:20AM -0700, Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:
> > > Vyatta have had working VLAN support for some time
> > > now. Is there anyone having any objections
> > > backporting this into XORP?
> > > I know the support is only for Linux, but by
> > > starting with the Vyatta code we can work our way
> > > from there.
> >
> > In general, we would like to port-back (as time allows us) many of
> > the good things the Vyatta folks have added to their code.
> >
> > However, in case of VLAN specifically, the Vyatta solution won't
> > work for us, because it is not portable. E.g., the interfaces.tp
> > rtrmgr template file contains the following %create commands which
> > deal with creating VLAN vifs:

<DEL>

> >         %create:  program "vconfig add $(ethernet.@) $(@)";
> This is certainly not an elegant solution.
> However there is no problem doing this from within
> the fea. I've provided a very simple code example
> of adding vlans on a Linux system, it's available
> at
> http://www.xorp.org/bugzilla/attachment.cgi?id=79&action=view

Yes, we want to do use such system calls in the FEA to manage the
VLANs. The "non-trivial" part is that we need to investigate how it
is done for different OS-es, provide the mechanisms to read vlan
info, etc. There are no big issues in doing this, it is primarily a
question of finding the time to design and implementing it carefully
to cover various details.