[Xorp-hackers] VLANs

Kristian Larsson kristian at spritelink.se
Wed May 10 14:22:49 PDT 2006

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 06:41:58PM +0200, Patrick Marc Preuss wrote:
> Kristian Larsson said the following on 5/10/2006 11:04 AM:
> <CUT>
> > How far should XORP go, I'm thinking about the
> > vrrpd daemon... is this something that can be
> > integrated into XORP or is that off limits?
> >
> I think it is a good idea most routing platforms have something like
> vrrp, in the same line i would see a feature form cisco glbp (Gateway
> load balancing Protocol), witch load balances incoming IPv4 LAN Traffic
>  from end systems.
I don't think the xorp project should spend it's
time writing a vrrp or glbp daemon but rather if
it's already out there we could integrate it so
that it can be configured via xorp.

http://www.xorp.org/bugzilla/index.cgi

> Have anyone seen an article or an implementation for WAN / Application
> optimisation, like the Boxes from Peribit/Juniper. What does you think
> about such things?
It's a bit too far in the future for me. First get
stable basic routing things like interface
configuration and properly working routing
protocols with policys.

> > Keeping it compatible with Linux and *BSD is
> > probably something quite trivial but with Windows or
> > something else I can imagine it's a whole
> > different story.
> >
> > What I want is to start off somewhere. Right now,
> > this seems like some holy grail that noone dare
> > touch. By implementing most of the Vyatta work,
> > ofcourse with some exceptions, I think we would
> > have a good starting point.
> YES
> >
> > The vif syntax would probably have to change, I
> > find the Vyatta way of doing it quite natural.
> > Does anyone have any objections against it?
> How does Vyatta does this? Can you give me a point to the Docs?
http://www.vyatta.com/twiki/bin/view/Community/VlanConfiguration

   Kristian.