[Xorp-hackers] Xorp Setup help !!!

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Tue Oct 3 09:43:04 PDT 2006

Ashish Karpe <ashishkarpe at gmail.com> wrote:

> hi all,
>         if we want to configure PIM-SM using Xorp what kind of minimum
> setup do we require to just check how it works in xorp. Can it be done
> using Virtual Network or physical network is necessary ? If yes which
> software is commonly used for this propose.

At minimum, you need one XORP router that is configured as a static
RP and has a directly connected sender and a receiver (on different
interfaces). The XORP configuration should have the following
sections/protocols: interfaces, mfea4, igmp, pimsm4, fib2mrib.

If you don't have a machine with two physical network interfaces you
could use virtual interfaces for that purpose. You could use OpenVPN
to configure them.
However, the OpenVPN virtual interfaces must be configured before
starting XORP (in the future XORP should have support to do that on
its own), and make sure that inside the XORP "interfaces" section
each such interface is configured like:

    interface tun0 {
        default-system-config
    }

Also, if you have 2+ PIM-SM routers connected with VPNs, make sure
that the RPF (Reverse Path Forwarding) information (as seen by
PIM-SM) is using the VPNs.
For that purpose you need either: (a) add unicast static routes that
use the VPNs as appropriate (or just run a dynamic protocol like RIP
or OSPF), or (b) add "mrib-route" static routes inside the XORP
configuration.

Hope that helps,