[Xorp-hackers] Want to contribute !!!!!

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Tue Sep 26 00:20:50 PDT 2006

> > However, I would advice against taking on the task of implementing
> > Bidir-PIM or Anycast-RP. Both mechanisms require detailed
> > understanding of the PIM-SM internals (as implemented in XORP), and
> > lots of your effort might be spent reading the source code or doing
> > things are not very productive from the perspective of your project
> > (e.g., making sure that your implementation logic is consistent with
> > the PIM-SM internals, coding style, etc).
> Forgive me if I'm wrong, I have little or no
> understanding of MSDP / PIMs internals, but isn't
> Anycast RP just normal PIM with MSDP configured
> between your RPs?
> I've configured it a few times but never bothered
> figuring out how it actually works but I reckon
> it's no different than two ASs talking MSDP
> between each other, this time it's just Intra-AS.
> So do you actually need to do modifications to the
> PIM stack to allow anycast RPs?
> Perhaps I should go read som RFCs ;)

Probably what you have in mind is RFC 3446:
"Anycast Rendevous Point (RP) mechanism using Protocol Independent
Multicast (PIM) and Multicast Source Discovery Protocol (MSDP)".

This solution eventually requires minor (if any) additional
coding/changes (if you have PIM-SM and MSDP implemented of course).

What I had in mind with regard to Anycast RP is RFC 4610:
"Anycast-RP Using Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM)".
This solution requires changes to the PIM-SM implementation itself,
but does not need/use MSDP.

Regards,