[Xorp-hackers] XORP BGP 4-byte AS number support

Mark Handley M.Handley at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Sat Dec 29 09:04:59 PST 2007

Well, the RFC says:

   To simplify transition, this document assumes that an Autonomous
   System could start using a 4-octet AS number only after all the BGP
   speakers within that Autonomous System have been upgraded to support
   4-octet AS numbers.

I'm really unclear on what happens if you enable it on a few routers
and its not supported on others within an AS.  The RFC isn't really
clear on the issue in the case where your AS is two-octet compatible.
In the case when your AS number is not two-octet compatible obviously
it should default to on (currently it doesn't; this is a bug).
Anyway I set it to be an explicit decision to turn it on rather than
force anyone who upgrades to test out untested corner cases.

 - Mark