[Xorp-hackers] PIM-Bidir - PIM-SM

shamita pisal shamita1010 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 04:59:50 PST 2007

We (a team of four people) wish to implement pim-bidir on
xorp.Thearchitecture of xorp had been studied in
detail.Also the source code is studied in detail.

Earlier it was decided to build a separate module of PIM-Bidir in xorp which
will inherit some of the features of PIM-SM.But now after a detailed
discussion we are giving a thought to implementing PIM-Bidir in PIM-SM
module itself, Making a few changes(eg:DF election instead of DR,RPA
election,Packet forwarding rules,the config file.) Pim-Bidir being a variant
of PIM-SM only a few changes are required to be done.The PIm-Bidir can use a
"switch"
i.e
 if  PIM_SM enabled then ...

  if PIM-bidir enabled then...

Could you please give your opinion on this and validate our point.

Thanking you in anticipation,
Ashish Karpe.
Chintamani Wandhare.
Shamita Pisal.