[Xorp-hackers] PIM-Bidir - PIM-SM

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Thu Feb 8 11:02:52 PST 2007

shamita pisal <shamita1010 at gmail.com> wrote:

> We (a team of four people) wish to implement pim-bidir on
> xorp.Thearchitecture of xorp had been studied in
> detail.Also the source code is studied in detail.
>
> Earlier it was decided to build a separate module of PIM-Bidir in xorp which
> will inherit some of the features of PIM-SM.But now after a detailed
> discussion we are giving a thought to implementing PIM-Bidir in PIM-SM
> module itself, Making a few changes(eg:DF election instead of DR,RPA
> election,Packet forwarding rules,the config file.) Pim-Bidir being a variant
> of PIM-SM only a few changes are required to be done.The PIm-Bidir can use a
> "switch"
> i.e
>  if  PIM_SM enabled then ...
>
>   if PIM-bidir enabled then...
>
> Could you please give your opinion on this and validate our point.

Yes, I believe that implementing PIM-Bidir inside the PIM-SM module
is the right approach, because they have too many things in common.
Code-wise, as a result of that you need to use conditional
statements similar to the one you mentioned above.

Configuration-wise, the default setup should be to run PIM-SM in
"vanilla" mode (i.e., no PIM-Bidir enabled).

A simple switch like "enable-bidir: true/false" (or a more
complicated configuration block) should be used to enable/activate
the PIM-Bidir processing. It has been a while since I read the Bidir
spec in details, so you need to decide whether this switch has to be
per network interface or a single switch for the whole PIM-SM
module.

Regards,
Pavlin