[Xorp-hackers] PIM-SM / PIM-Bidir doubt about (*,G) entries.

shamita pisal shamita1010 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 04:52:52 PST 2007

>Hence, each (*,G) entry needs to have a flag indicating whether it
>is in PIM-SM mode or PIM-Bidir mode.

>Regards,
>Pavlin

hi all,

First of all thanks a lot for your precious guidance for our project.

As per your reply regarding setting the bidir-bit so as to differentiate
between the PIM-SM and PIM-Bidir (*,G) entries ,we are not very clear about
how the (*,G) entries are stored in PIM_SM as per your implementation.(We
tried searching for those in PIM_MRE.hh ,PIM.h,IPv4.h.)So we are unable to
decide the setting of the Bidir-bit for (*,G) entries.

Can we use a flag along with the (*,G) entries and store both of them
together in the templates????

2.)Also as per the PIM-SM RFC (Protocol Independent multicast-Sparse
mode(PIM-SM):Protocol specification(Revised))
Encoded-Group addresses take the following format:

 0                   1                   2                   3
 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
|  Addr Family  | Encoding Type |B| Reserved  |Z|  Mask Len     |
|                Group multicast Address
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+...

[B]idirectional PIM
     indicates the group range should use Bidirectional PIM [12]. For
     PIM-SM defined in this specification, this bit MUST be zero.

We have a doubt as how the bidirectional bit is handled in PIM_SM and where
exactly is it handled.

3.)Could we use the same templetes(MRT and MRE)as used in PIM-SM  for
storing the Tables for PIm-Bidir,or do you feel that writing our own
templates would be easier????

4.)Could you also elucidate the implementation of the Packet
headers.(i.eplz tell the files in which we should be looking for it).

Thanking you in anticipation,
Shamita P.