[Xorp-hackers] [Xorp-cvs] XORP cvs commit: xorp/etc/templates

Atanu Ghosh atanu at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Feb 26 03:17:51 PST 2007

    Kristian> On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 10:31:13AM +0000, Atanu Ghosh
    Kristian> wrote:
    >> CVSROOT: /usr/local/www/data/cvs Module name: xorp Changes by:
    >> atanu at xorpc.icir.org 2007-02-26 10:31:13 UTC
    >>
    >> XORP CVS repository
    >>

    >> Modified files: etc/templates rib.cmds
    >>
    >> Log message: Add OSPFv3 route commands; copy OSPFv2 text and
    >> substitute OSPFv2 -> OSPFv3, ipv4 -> ipv6.
    Kristian> I know this has more to it than just this CVS commit, but
    Kristian> it triggered a few thoughts.

    Kristian> Is it really wise to differentiate OSPFv2 and OSPFv3 with
    Kristian> the ospf[46] keywords?  From what I've heard there has
    Kristian> been talk about supporting several simultaneous address
    Kristian> families within OSPFv3 just as with IS-IS. Now how would
    Kristian> you configure that if it's called ospf4 and ospf6 ?

    Kristian> With ospf[46] it feels like we're abstracting something
    Kristian> that shouldn't have an abstraction layer over it in the
    Kristian> first place. ospf[23] or just ospf and ospf3 as juniper
    Kristian> calls it is fine imho.

    Kristian> Regards, Kristian,

Hi,

My preference would have been to do as you suggested, but it was felt
that for consistency we should use the address family as the suffix. As
you point out if carrying IPv4 addresses in OSPFv3 is ever standardised
the naming should get interesting:-).

    Atanu.