[Xorp-hackers] Generating the XRL interface

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Wed Jul 18 09:32:40 PDT 2007

Damien Leroy <damien.leroy at uclouvain.be> wrote:

> Hello,
> I am trying to write a simple protocol in XORP 1.4. As explained in the
> document "An introduction to writing a XORP process", I have written a
> .xif file and modified the Makefile.am file. If I run a "./configure", a
> new Makefile is created but it does not take into account my changes of
> Makefile.am. So, there is no change when I "make".
> Do I have to run "automake" or did I forget something ?
> (I use gcc/g++  4.1, make 3.81, autoconf 2.61, automake 1.10, libtool
> 1.5.22 and an Ubuntu 7.04)

If you modify any of the Makefile.am or configure.in files, then you
need to run first ./bootstrap in the XORP top-level directory.
It will run the appropriate autoconf/automake tools, and after that
you need to run ./configure and gmake.

However, XORP-1.4 requires that you use older versions of the
autotools:

    - autoconf version 2.53
    - automake version 1.5
    - libtool version 1.3.4

There could be various issues if you use newer versions with that
code, but you could give it a try.

If you get the latest XORP code from CVS, it has been updated to use
more recent autotool versions:
    - autoconf version 2.61
    - automake version 1.10
    - libtool version 1.5.22

Note however that the updated bootstrap script in CVS also expects
the autotool commands to have the following names:

ACLOCAL=${ACLOCAL:-"aclocal110"}
AUTOCONF=${AUTOCONF:-"autoconf261"}
AUTOHEADER=${AUTOHEADER:-"autoheader261"}
AUTOMAKE=${AUTOMAKE:-"automake110"}
LIBTOOLIZE=${LIBTOOLIZE:-"libtoolize"}

Most likely your Ubuntu installation uses different names.
To get around this you need to set the
ACLOCAL/AUTOCONF/AUTOHEADER/AUTOMAKE/LIBTOOLIZE variables in your
shell environment to the appropriate names before running
./bootstrap.

Regards,