[Xorp-hackers] Xorp for overlay routing

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Fri Jun 8 03:52:28 PDT 2007

> I'd like to employ Xorp as a router in an overlay network in
> userspace.  This is similar to what VINI does, but VINI uses User-
> Mode Linux (UML) so that Xorp can talk directly to (virtual) network
> devices.  I'd like to get away without that complexity if possible.
> Can anyone comment on whether there is an easy way to do this in
> Xorp?  Or quagga, perhaps?

What kind of (virtual) network devices are you going to use in your
overlay? Most likely you need to create them before starting XORP,
because currently XORP can configure only devices that are already
in the kernel.

Also, what mechanism can be used to talk to those devices?
If none of the existing UNIX mechanisms can be used (e.g., ioctl(),
Linux's netlink, etc), then you need to write a plugin at the bottom
of the FEA (XORP's Forwarding Engine Abstraction) that will allow
XORP to talk to those devices. Drop me an email for details if you
need to write such plugin.

There are probably some other issues that might need to be
considered, but I cannot address them without knowing the technical
details of your overlay.

In any case, given your physical proximity to ICSI feel free to stop
by to discuss in details any issues you might have.

Regards,
Pavlin