[Xorp-hackers] Doubt about packet forwarding

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Sat Mar 10 08:22:33 PST 2007

> 1.We are not able to find how the data packet are forwarded in PIM SM.
> 2.How the packet is identified weather it is a data packet for pim sm? Where
> is it processed ?
> 3.where are the data forwarding rules implimented??
> 4.We are not able to figure out flow !!! :) Please suggest the class
> name/file name.

The data packets are not forwarded by PIM-SM, but by the kernel.
I am excluding the data packets encapsulated in PIM Registers,
because those are not used in Bidir-PIM.
PIM-SM however installs (via the MFEA) the forwarding entries in the
kernel.

If you are interested in the PIM control packets however, then
PimNode::proto_recv() inside pim/pim_node.cc is the entry point, and
then follow the code :)

Regards,