[Xorp-hackers] Xorp for embedded applications

Sonia xonia10 at yahoo.es
Wed Oct 3 07:53:48 PDT 2007

Hi all,

Recently I wrote to this list asking for help to
reduce the size of xorp binaries in order to make them
fit in an embedded platform.

http://mailman.icsi.berkeley.edu/pipermail/xorp-hackers/2007-September/001180.html

First of all, thank you Pavlin for your quick answer!

As said in the previous post, we only need some
functionalities of xorp. Specifically we want to
implement the feature of multicast router, so as
Pavlin said, we need only some of the binaries of xorp
(xorp_igmp, xorp_finder, xorp_fea and the template
files).

We don't mind to have few binaries in our system, but
the size of them is prohibitive (We have 4MB of
Flash). For example, we've tried disabling IPv6, but
adding the compilation flag doesn't remove all the
functions related to IPv6 and the size is not reduced.

We think also that it could be very interesting to use
shared libraries, or to have the choice to make a
single binary with the selected features. Obviously we
focus on embedded world.

I don't know if there is some work on this. Although
we would like to contribute to it, unfortunatly we
don't have time.

To sum up, we ask for ideas to reduce the size of the
binaries or if anyone is interested in doing this work
we're considering to make a donation.

Please, any suggestion will be welcome!!

Thank you very much for your attention!!

Best regards,

Sonia