[Xorp-hackers] Multicast Programming

Luca Giraudo luca.giraudo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 05:15:28 PDT 2007

The process is able to receive multicast packets from every interface if I
do the next operations:
* udp_open_and_bind to IPv4::ANY
* udp_join_group on every configured IPv4 address on the PC (obtained by
calling finder://fea/ifmgr/0.1/get_configured_interface_names ->
finder://fea/ifmgr/0.1/get_configured_vif_names ->
finder://fea/ifmgr/0.1/get_configured_vif_addresses4)

In the first version of the demon I utilised udp_open_bind_join (with
parameter IPv4Constants::any), but this doesn't work because it's impossible
to join the multicast group on IPv4Constants::any (or IPv4::ANY) that isn't
a local interface (error: ... the address must belong to a local interface);
the solution is to call the bind and the join separately.

In this way I can receive packets on every interface and I can send packets
from every interface (finder://fea/socket4/0.1/send_from_multicast_if). In
the previous e-mail I didn't describe well the process behaviour, sorry.

Luca Giraudo