[Xorp-hackers] OSPF on high latency links

Atanu Ghosh atanu at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Oct 24 00:24:33 PDT 2007

Hi,

Just out of curiosity what kind of links do you have that can have a
latency of 20 seconds?

For two OSPF routers to maintain bidirectional communications each must
receive a hello packet from the other at least every
router-dead-interval (default 40 seconds), a hello packet is sent every
hello-interval (default 10 seconds).

Are you experiencing packet loss as well as high latencies? If you are
you could try increasing the frequency of the hello packets by
decreasing the hello-interval value and also increasing the
router-dead-interval.

      Atanu.