[Xorp-hackers] VLAN support

Kristian Larsson kristian at spritelink.net
Fri Sep 14 00:34:39 PDT 2007

Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:
> <kristian at spritelink.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 16:30:15 -0700, Pavlin Radoslavov <pavlin at icir.org>
>> wrote:

>>> The VLAN changes are to the backend and they follow the existing
>>> interface/vif scheme: the VLAN is a vif to the parent interface.
>>> Nothing has been changed in the user front-end.
>> I understand that nothing has been changed so far, what I'm interested in
>> is if it will be.
>> And I'm not certain how VLANs fit in under the current naming scheme, since
>> it's not currently implemented...
>> Under linux a vlan interface by default is named <interface>.<vlan id> and
>> under FreeBSD a vlan is named vlan<sequence number>, where the sequence
>> number has no correlation to the vlan id. Is XORP supposed to somehow
>> follow this?
>> interface eth0 {
>>           vif eth0.123 {
>>           }
>> }
>> or on freebsd
>> interface fxp0 {
>>           vid vlan2 {
>>           }
>> }
>> ??
>> How do I know the tag which is used on FreeBSD?
>> Could you please provide a few examples of how it may look ? :)
>
> No, until the implementation is completed :)

If you go ahead and implement, which of course is nothing I object to -
I would love VLAN support in XORP, I think the discussion will be raised
on how the naming scheme should look and there is a slight risk that
someone will have to re-implement and change things due to that we reach
concensus on some other solution than what is currently on roadmap.
I'm having difficult understanding just why you can't provide me with an
example of what you have in mind? Is it a secret? ;)

  -K