[Xorp-hackers] How to get IPMulticastListen API in Linux

Bruce M Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Sat Apr 5 05:20:58 PDT 2008

manishb.patel at einfochips.com wrote:
> As per RFC 3376 we found that IP service of the system supports
> IPMulticastListen API which can be used from host side to join or
> leave the group.
>
> We have tried to search same API in Linux but we couldn't get it.

Erm, if you re-read the RFC carefully, that's because the
"IPMulticastListen API" in that RFC exists purely for discussion
purposes. It refers to the internal routines which form the "IP
multicast service module".

The RFC discusses the IGMPv3 protocol behaviour, it does not discuss how
it is implemented in terms of the host stack. RFCs normally do not
contain operating system specific detail.

For application APIs refer to RFC 3678. It sounds like you've already
read this RFC, though, as you mention setipv4sourcefilter() in your
message. That RFC already contains all you need to know.

If you actually need to hack the Linux IP stack to achieve your
objective (I'm not convinced that you do), your best options are, read
source, obtain consultant, or ask about it in a Linux kernel forum.

Good luck