[Xorp-hackers] Building XORP on ARM Architecture

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Apr 10 11:38:08 PDT 2008

> I was wondering if anybody has been successful in building XORP for the ARM
> architecture and if so, if they could provide me with the steps they went
> through to get it to compile and run.

Section 3.8. Cross-compilation in xorp/BUILD_NOTES contains
information for cross-compiling XORP. It has a subsection for XScale
processor which is basically ARM.

> I was able to compile it, but when I run xorp_rtrmgr or xorpsh I see no
> output at all. Can you point me in the right direction as far as what I
> should look for in the build log and also whether XORP generates any log
> files when it runs that could provide me with debug information to try to
> solve this problem.

Some time ago I did few basic tests with that architecture (I think
the OS was MontaVista), and from what I remember I think the log
output was working (I was running XORP in foreground so the messages
were printed on the terminal).

You should be aware that the XORP log facility tries to send the
output to one of the following devices (in order of preference).

/dev/stderr
/dev/console
/dev/stdout

E.g., if /dev/stderr exists on the system and is writeable, then
the it will be used as the default output stream.
(See xorp/libxorp/xlog.c and search for /dev/stderr to see the
actual code that selects the output stream).

One thing to verify is whether the selected output stream actually
works. E.g., I have seen problems with broken symbolic links on
embedded Linux where /dev/stderr exists, but
"echo FOO > /dev/stderr" doesn't actually print the output.

Hope that helps,