[Xorp-hackers] RIP CODE FLOW

Bruce M Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Mon Apr 21 04:03:23 PDT 2008

asi vadu wrote:

>    I am going through xorp-1.4/rip source code flow.
>    But i am not able to understand the RIP code.
>    Could you help me how to follow the code?

Most XORP routing processes have a lot of asynchronous callbacks. These
are dispatched by the EventLoop. As long as you remember that everything
must return to the EventLoop's wait_and_dispatch() call, you shouldn't
get lost.

This of course excludes POSIX process signals, but since XORP is written
to be portable, signals should not be an issue.

The code in RIP for PortIO is particularly asynchronous, you will see it
jumping from member function to member function.

>    And where should i start?

Best to start at function main() and look at the creation of the EventLoop.

>    And what steps should i follow?

Consider installing a code browser such as KScope (KDE, FreeBSD/Linux)

If you are using a Windows system, try Source Navigator from Red Hat:
    http://sourcenav.sourceforge.net/

Unlike KScope, it also has a C++ class browser.

cheers